Saturday, June 17, 2006

Noises in the Night…

This week, my Dad and I spent the majority of our time at the cabin on Tulaby Lake. Our task for the week was to bring up the 6 new Pella windows that will be installed along with the siding we plan on replacing hopefully in the next couple of weeks. Along with the new windows, we brought up my full size mattress to replace the mattress in the master bedroom that has seen better days and some leftover roofing supplies to eventually re-roof the “skunkhouse” (our shed).

The entire week it blew like a hurricane on our side of the lake and again we had to bury a large amount of dead sunfish. We were able to mow most of the yard Wednesday evening, however, we ran into some difficulty with the lawn tractor when it wouldn’t start. For dinner we had Spaghetti and meatballs and watched BATTLEGROUND: 21 Days on the Empire’s Edge, a documentary detailing the first days of the Iraq war.

Thursday we made a trip to the transfer station in Waubun to drop off the old mattress along with some assorted debris and cardboard from the garage. We also filled up all of the gas tanks with fresh gas. The weather cleared for a bit, then got real hot and muggy. We finished mowing the rest of the yard and I spent some time splitting more logs from the rounds that my folks cut down last fall. I was able to get 14 logs out of about 4 rounds through swinging of mauls and sledgehammers. For dinner, my Dad and I had chicken fajitas and later enjoyed some Mrs. Fields cookies while watching game 4 of the NBA Finals Miami vs. Dallas.

Around 10:30 PM, my Dad went to bed and I stayed awake reading my book, The Masters of Solitude, well into the night. Around 12:45 AM, I started feeling sleepy and was getting set to fall asleep…when I heard something, something that you usually don’t expect to hear at a lake cabin. At first I thought it was an animal or something, but then it started to get louder, and louder, and louder until I realized what I was hearing…The sound of a young couple in the heat of…passion. Because of the heat of the evening, all the windows in the cabin were open, including the window across from the cabin next to us. One of the daughters of the owners next door was up for the night with her lover for a quick romp. Tulaby Lake is only about 45 minutes from their place, allowing for a “quick escape.” Personally, I wish at times the cabin was a closer commute than four hours for the same reason. It kept me awake for most of the night, however, I was able to get to sleep eventually.

At one point before falling asleep, I was really tempted to use my new flashlight that Kristen’s Dad got me, and shine it in their window and yell: “Hey, Keep it down a noch huh?”…however, that would only have caused more trouble. In the morning, it made for an interesting conversation between my Dad and I. We then decided to head back for home, considering that we had accomplished a good number of the tasks including getting the cabin ready for company.

This week, my Uncle Bob and his family from Tennessee will be at the lake along with my grandparents and my Uncle Joe. Hopefully they’ll have better luck with fishing then we did. Just a few more weeks left until it is time for Cabin Party V. Until next time, keep listening for unusual noises!!

Andrew

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I think you should have used the Jumbo Flash flashlight on your neighbor's. Then I could tell my dad of the many uses you have been getting out of your flashlight. He told me that his broke and he was getting pouty over not having a Jumbo Flash flashlight. :-D