Sunday, May 28, 2006

Moving Out

It’s that time of year again. When we devote several days and countless hours of driving, packing, and cleaning all in the hopes of vacating before the 31st of May. The house on Lindig has been one of the best places my roommates and I have ever lived and really a steal. 4 bedrooms and 3 bathrooms all for $1600/month, not bad when we were living in 808 Berry Place in a 3 bedroom 2 bathroom apartment for almost $1805/month. At Lindig, everyone had their own bedroom and only Kevin and Pete had to share a bathroom, while Frank and I enjoyed having our own bathrooms.
It’s now Sunday before Memorial Day, and we have until Wednesday the 31st to be completely moved out. Frank and I got a majority of our things moved out the week before and the early part of this weekend. All that remains for us is packing up some of the food that belongs to us, general picking up and packing up, and then cleaning the rest of the house in the form of dusting, vacuuming, and shampooing of carpets.
Things I am going to miss about Lindig:
• My bedroom The Cave: I really did luck out when it came to drawing rooms for the new place. This room was huge just slightly bigger than the master bedroom. The room allowed me to have a lot of stuff in their such as my desk, bookshelves, a chair for reading in, and a lot of storage space for clothes, shoes, and such. The room also acted like a hideout, if I didn’t like what was going on in the house I could go to my cave and lock the door, didn’t have to worry about sharing it with anyone else or have arguments on “who got the room” that night.
• The Bathroom. One gets used to having his own bathroom fairly quickly. Even though this bathroom was by no means extravagant, it was incredibly efficient and practical. Plus the water pressure and temperature was far superior to that of 808 Berry Place.
• The Location. The house on Lindig couldn’t have been a better location for the price that we paid. Located right off of Larpanteur Avenue with access to both 35W, and I-94, as well as being in walking distance of the St. Paul Campus of the University of Minnesota.
• The roommates. This was my second round of living with Frank, Kevin, and Pete all of whom I had lived with at 808 Berry Place my sophomore year of college at the U of M. Kevin I will miss for his humor, his love of all things military science fiction including anything involving Warhammer be it 40K or the regular one, and his love of all things culinary. The trip to Kevin’s “cabin” (cough cough second home) was a really good time and would be great to visit once again. Pete I’ll miss for helping me with taking care of the lawn, introducing me to Dino’s Gyros, LAN parties consisting of DOTA and Unreal Tournament 2004, plus watching great shows such as Battlestar Galactica, Family Guy, Robot Chicken, the list goes on of shows that Pete had shared on his computer. I wish Pete the best of luck in his new house and I hope Pete and Tanya’s relationship continues to grow stronger and closer (they are cute together and make a great couple). Frank is moving home to BP same as I am, until his condo in Golden Valley is done in winter of 2006.
Things I am not going to miss at all!!!
• The Yard: As I have mentioned in several other blog posts, this yard was tough as nails to maintain and mow. There were several large stumps that were hidden throughout the property and that you had to watch out for or they would really damage your lawn mower. Also, the yard was far to shady for sod and instead consisted of patchy grass, mixed with weeds and other foliage including Burning Weed which we had a patch of in the front yard. Mowing at Lindig (for those that did it the most, Pete and I) made mowing at the house in BP and the Cabin, like a walk in the park.
• The Voles/Rodents: I think almost everyone heard the tail of the voles chewing through my screens and me taking on the task of exterminating them. (See old blog posts).
Bickering amongst roommates: be it about chores, expenses, or problems between roommates and roommates’ girlfriends even though few and far between I am done dealing with all of these potential problems.

Thank you 1715 Lindig, we’ve enjoyed living with you, you were a vast improvement over our last place of residence and so far much easier to move out of and so far clean. We’ve only shampooed one section of carpet in the basement so far and successfully moved out a large amount of food from the freezer, refrigerator, and the pantry. Still have a few more things to pack up and a little more cleaning to do. 3 days left to go. But thanks to the efforts of Frank, my Mom Cathy, and myself we are much closer and should hopefully be done by Monday.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Lindig was a wonderful home for you to have this year. Lots of great memories!